Sat, Jun 03|
How to Start and Manage Your Own Business
Time & Location
Jun 03, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM CDT
About the Event
Do you have what it takes to start and run a successful business? If so, what are the first steps you should take? This workshop will help you assess your prospects, give you the initial direction you need, and inspire you to move forward to realize your dream. In addition, you will have an opportunity to NETWORK with other business-minded people who are considering starting a business.
Topics covered are:
- It all starts with a PLAN - A BUSINESS PLAN
- Marketing for today's small business.
- What is the right legal business structure for my business?
- What should I know about licenses, taxes, and insurance?
- What technology considerations are important for my business?
- An introduction to the financial side of a business. Where do I get funding?
- Our 3-Point approach to Business Education - Basic Business, Business Topic, and Interactive Business Education
- What is needed to start a business
- What are the key parts of a business
- The need for a plan - A BUSINESS PLAN
- What is the next Step-Attend our next Business Plan Workshop
- David Carrithers: I have over 40 years of experience working with businesses of all stages and industries, helping them improve and grow. I've worked with big names like American Express, MasterCard, and Maritz, and invented pre-paid and stored-value payment systems like gift cards. At Centennial, I grew the company's sales from $170M to over $500M in just three years. I'm excited to continue helping businesses through SCORE.
- Robert Pennell: Building a business takes commitment and determination - not to mention patience. I've successfully developed a business plan, secured institutional financing, recruited necessary personnel, and promoted the start-up of my legal practice so I know what needs to be done. For ongoing success you have to build a loyal client base. In my case that was through personal attention, quality service and consistent follow through but every business model is different. The key is to identify your core market and determine the best way to drive business to that market which is much easier said than done. Through SCORE we can help you to answer these questions. I'd like to be able to help you move your business goals forward through SCORE.
- Stuart Epstein: My background in financial analysis, accounting, and financial controls gave me a good overview of what it takes to operate a company successfully. My strengths are in helping companies understand their operations and financial results with an eye to monitoring profitability. With my small company experience, where one learns to wear many hats, I can help business owners with the various aspects of business they need to consider to be successful.